Monday, June 4, 2012

How It All Began

I had heard about image consulting, but didn't know much about it. I was connected with Margaret Batting, image consultant and founder of Eleve. I told her of my interest in the field, and she then took me under her wing and mentored me. I learned from Margaret that image consulting is about helping people be themselves, both with what they wear and how they present themselves. I wanted to do that!


I wrote about Margaret in my senior dissertation at college, a psychological study on clothing and identity, analyzing college aged males' and females' perceptions and uses of clothing. After working on my paper for the entirety of my senior year, I realized how passionate I was about image consulting, and that I one day hoped to have a business of my own. 

After graduating, I did some freelance work in Boston (my hometown), which mostly consisted of trying out my skills on family and friends. I started getting really great feedback, and realized that I was made for this job. I was good at it, I was helping people, and I was having fun!

After a year of working as a sales associate at Neiman Marcus and living at home, I decided to move to New York city - my dreamland. I started taking classes at FIT within the image consulting certification program. 

Some people ask me, "Do you REALLY need to be certified? Can't you just...do it?"

Well, there is SO much to this profession. Color theory, shape, spacial proportions and more. So yes, I'm learning it all and getting my butt certified!




No comments:

Post a Comment