Thursday, June 7, 2012

Clothing is Armor


Tom Ford

Oh, Tom Ford. I could talk about this amazing, beautiful man all day. But instead I'll focus on a very important moment in his career. For those of you who don't know, Tom Ford is an extremely important fashion designer and former creative director of Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent

In 2009, after directing and co-writing A Single Man (featuring Julianne Moore and Colin Firth), Ford was interviewed by Terry Gross on National Public Radio. Ford discusses the main character in his movie, George; George is a character who is suffering inside, but uses his pristine clothing appearance as a sort of armor. He feels that if he is able to control everything on the outside, and construct an armor that is his public persona, he will be safe inside, and better able to hold himself together. 

Later in the interview, Gross asked Ford if he personally always wears the same fabulous clothing, or if sometimes when he is having a bad day he feels he is not worthy of such beautiful clothing and must wear something less appealing. To this, Ford responds with a description much like the one he gave for the character in his movie:

"If I'm having a bad day I put on the very best thing I have. I polish my shoes, I shine everything up, because that helps me get though the day. It helps me, you know, it's in a sense armor. It says, okay, I'm a mess inside but you know what? On the outside I'm going to be pulled together, and everything is okay."

Couldn't have said it better myself, Tom.


Firth and Moore in A Single Man (2009).


**To hear the full interview with Terry Gross, Click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment